103rd Precinct: Teen Sentenced In Murder, Man Sentenced In Murder

Teen Sentenced In Murder

A Brooklyn teenager has been sentenced to 15 years to life in the murder of a 14-year-old Queens girl who was shot in the head and killed when a bullet pierced through the window of a bus that she was aboard in May 2013, the Queens district attorney said.

Brooklyn’s Shamel Capers, 19, was convicted in June on a count of second-degree murder before Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory L. Lasak, who sentenced the defendant on Wednesday. Last year, Queens’ Kevin McClinton, 25, was convicted of second-degree murder and other charges in the same shooting and is currently serving 40 years to life in prison.

On the evening of May 18, 2013, D’aja Robinson left a sweet 16 party and boarded the Q6 bus on Jamaica’s Sutphin Boulevard. She proceeded to the rear of the bus and sat down, when Capers—at the time 15 years old—pointed a handgun at the bus and began firing multiple rounds, Queens DA Richard Brown said. McClinton, then 21 years old, grabbed the gun from Capers and continued shooting at the bus. One of the fired rounds struck Robinson in the head. She was rushed to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

“The death of D’aja Robinson was a tragic and senseless murder,” Brown said. “The 14-year-old was a talented teenager with a bright future before her, until the two defendants in this case struck with total disregard for human life and fired into an occupied New York City bus.”

Man Sentenced In Murder

A Jamaica man has been sentenced to 23 years to life in prison after a jury found him guilty of murder in the beating death of a Bangladeshi immigrant in a Hillside Avenue bar in September 2012, the Queens district attorney said.

David Louime, 32, of 88th Avenue in Jamaica, was convicted in May of second-degree murder following a 10-day jury trial before Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory L. Lasak, who sentenced the defendant on Tuesday.

“This was a senseless act of brutality,” Queens DA Richard Brown said. “The victim was knocked to the floor and was defenseless when the defendant repeatedly punched and kicked him. The defendant stomped on his head as the victim lay motionless and unconscious on the floor.”

The 51-year-old victim—Isteak Quadir—suffered severe brain damage as a result of the beating and was left in a semi-vegetative state for approximately 15 months before dying, the DA said.

Quadir was meeting with friends at the Hillside Inn, located at 168-02 Hillside Ave. in Jamaica, just after 12:30 a.m. on Sept. 13, 2012, when Louime attacked him and started punching him in the face. The victim fell to the floor, hit his head and lost consciousness, but Louime continued to kick and stomp him.

Quadir was taken to a local Queens hospital and deemed unresponsive due to a traumatic brain injury. He underwent surgery that required the removal of part of his skull to relieve brain swelling and was placed in a drug-induced coma.

Quadir was later admitted to a nursing home and, unable to speak and requiring the assistance of a feeding tube and ventilator, and died from his injuries in May 2014. Louime was apprehended for the attack in March 2014 following a traffic stop for failing to signal while driving.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>